Thirteen Observations made by Lemony Snicket while watching Occupy Wall Street from a Discreet Distance
1. If you work hard, and become successful, it does not necessarily mean you are successful because you worked hard, just as if you are tall with long hair it doesn’t mean you would be a midget if you were bald.
2. “Fortune” is a word for having a lot of money and for having a lot of luck, but that does not mean the word has two definitions.
3. Money is like a child—rarely unaccompanied. When it disappears, look to those who were supposed to be keeping an eye on it while you were at the grocery store. You might also look for someone who has a lot of extra children sitting around, with long, suspicious explanations for how they got there.
4. People who say money doesn’t matter are like people who say cake doesn’t matter—it’s probably because they’ve already had a few slices.
5. There may not be a reason to share your cake. It is, after all, yours. You probably baked it yourself, in an oven of your own construction with ingredients you harvested yourself. It may be possible to keep your entire cake while explaining to any nearby hungry people just how reasonable you are.
6. Nobody wants to fall into a safety net, because it means the structure in which they’ve been living is in a state of collapse and they have no choice but to tumble downwards. However, it beats the alternative.
7. Someone feeling wronged is like someone feeling thirsty. Don’t tell them they aren’t. Sit with them and have a drink.
8. Don’t ask yourself if something is fair. Ask someone else—a stranger in the street, for example.
9. People gathering in the streets feeling wronged tend to be loud, as it is difficult to make oneself heard on the other side of an impressive edifice.
10. It is not always the job of people shouting outside impressive buildings to solve problems. It is often the job of the people inside, who have paper, pens, desks, and an impressive view.
11. Historically, a story about people inside impressive buildings ignoring or even taunting people standing outside shouting at them turns out to be a story with an unhappy ending.
12. If you have a large crowd shouting outside your building, there might not be room for a safety net if you’re the one tumbling down when it collapses.
13. 99 percent is a very large percentage. For instance, easily 99 percent of people want a roof over their heads, food on their tables, and the occasional slice of cake for dessert. Surely an arrangement can be made with that niggling 1 percent who disagree.
60 Notes/ Hide
- whathajel reblogged this from rossy-ross
- j-tondo likes this
- rossy-ross reblogged this from xoxoshana
- youandmi reblogged this from xoxoshana
- ahlecksan likes this
- krissymalfoy reblogged this from c0updefoudre
- grati-ana likes this
- arghasfd reblogged this from alyson-noele and added:
- ninatabios likes this
- c0updefoudre reblogged this from janzyboo and added:
- caramhel likes this
- janzyboo reblogged this from mycherieamour and added:
- americanhighwayflower likes this
- theyetta reblogged this from alyson-noele
- here-ish likes this
- here-ish reblogged this from alyson-noele
- mizmlee reblogged this from mycherieamour
- mizmlee likes this
- mycherieamour reblogged this from tsibugan
- mycherieamour likes this
- yourstruly-d reblogged this from xoxoshana
- ms-mel-i-fluous likes this
- xoxoshana reblogged this from alyson-noele
- arghasfd likes this
- tsibugan reblogged this from alyson-noele
- tasialabastro likes this
- alyson-noele reblogged this from livinghitsthenailonthehead
- alyson-noele likes this
- valutime likes this
- crislaze-third likes this
- ca-na-bal likes this
- scullywhereareyou reblogged this from notational
- makayladearest likes this
- hienigga likes this
- loxycodone likes this
- typical-m0net reblogged this from livinghitsthenailonthehead
- benkraal likes this
- goatfalcon likes this
- lsirivong reblogged this from notational and added:
- studio630 reblogged this from notational
- notoriousnat likes this
- notational reblogged this from livinghitsthenailonthehead
- livinghitsthenailonthehead posted this